Sunday, March 18, 2012

Papers Visions


Paper Visions, form and counter-form, the art of Richard Shipps.




Currently showing at Gallery Pink on Harrison St. is a mesmerizing exhibit of paper cutting. The artist uses three shapes and creates from there, using cuts that act like buttresses and folds in the paper to hold the shape up.

Friday evening as part of the Third Friday Gallery Walk, Richard was doing a live paper cutting demo and explaining some of his process to those who attended.


I noticed the exhibit when I saw Richard hanging the large wall piece that seemed to flow and come to life off the wall. I was leaving Pamela Penny's Textiles when I saw him and thought he needs to be in my Oak Parkers project, even though I found out he lives in Chicago I went back to meet and photograph him because the work called for it and I wanted to meet who was creating these unique pieces.

No comments: